Friday, March 21, 2014

Maligayang Kaarawan

It’s said that it takes a village to raise a child. I certainly am no different. In Pilipino, one wishes someone "maligayang kaarawan", which literally means "happy day of being". Today, I am so happy with who I am becoming. My family and friends, both past and present, have contributed greatly to my life. My teachers and mentors all created new wrinkles in my brain, coinciding with each new piece of knowledge. Many other people who I have not had direct interactions with have influenced the environment around me. Negative or positive interactions and experiences have all shaped who I have become today. The great thing is that I know that my past does not have to equal my future. I’ve always been a dreamer. A long time ago, when I learned that the age requirement to become President of the United States was 35, I focused on this birthday and the 2016 elections. Since then, my life has had its ups and downs, and I'm not nearly as close to taking my place at the White House as I expected to be, but I’m definitely starting my 35th year of life on an upward trajectory. For my birthday, tell someone you love them, reconcile with someone you’ve had a breakdown with, and help me build my nephew’s college fund. All of these things are gifts that will keep on giving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!